APSK was formed in 1968 and registered as a society in 1969 (as a Branch of the EA Animal production Society). Animal Production Society of Kenya (APSK) is a non-profit making organization whose aim is to bring together individuals, groups, institutions or/and other organizations with interest in Animal Production in Kenya - Mainly professionals in animal production.
The APSK contributes to knowledge and information sharing; research priority setting in animal science and natural resource managements.
THE OBJECTIVES OF THE SOCIETY ARE TO:
- Provide a common forum for research workers, agricultural trainers, extension officer’s farmers, processors, livestock traders and other market agents for the exchange of ideas;
- Encourage the practical applications of research findings and generally disseminate knowledge in field of animal production;
- Assist its members in self developments and in their professional especially with respect to project proposals and linkages with relevant organizations;
- Liaise with individuals and kindred Societies in Eastern Africa including those in the field of agriculture, wildlife, fisheries and other relevant fields;
- Liaise and/or affiliate with kindred organization society in and outside Kenya in particulars; with the Regional and Africa Association of Animal Production (AAAP) and the world Association of Animal Production( WAAP)
The APSK envisions 'to be the lead professional society for sustainable livestock development, food security and wealth creation'.
The mission is 'to facilitate livestock production professionals and stakeholders in acquiring and utilizing cutting edge knowledge and technologies for sustainable livestock development, food security and wealth creation'